I'm looking for teacher entrepreneurs!
If you're a teacher interested in sharing your small business startup story as a podcast guest on my show, please contact me through our Facebook page, Twitter, Instagram, or via email to support [at] rethinkyourlifestyle.com.
How to be a podcast guest
You've just been asked to be a podcast guest for reThink Your Lifestyle — Now what? If you have your own podcast or have been a guest multiple times and know what you're doing, you may only need a cursory glance over this document. But if you're new to the world of podcasting, don't worry. I'll take care of everything and, as a teacher, I can handle any surprises that may occur (like power interruptions, a sudden fit of coughing in the middle of recording, unexpected nerves).
Before the interview
Unlike news interviews, we are producing a collaborative show. That means we're working together to help you tell the best story or give the best advice that will help my listeners (and yours!) learn from our experiences as small business owners and teachers. Here is what you can expect after you agree to be a part of the podcast:
- I will send you a link to my calendar scheduling app so you can pick a time and day for our pre-interview conversation on Zoom. If none of the days work, just reach out to me via the form of communication we've established and I'll work with you.
- After you schedule the pre-interview conversation, I will send you an email with tech and rescheduling information (because I'm a teacher and I know last-minute stuff happens).
- The pre-interview conversation is very informal, just a way for us to build rapport, create an outline for the interview, make sure tech is working properly, and let you know what will happen on interview day.
- Once we have finished the pre-interview conversation, I will send you a second link to my calendar scheduling app. This is where you will select a time for the recorded interview. Again, if none of these days work, just contact me and I'll work with you.
- After you schedule your recording day, I'll send you further instructions via email, including a request for your bio, links to your website and social media, and a photograph that I can include in my show notes.
- A couple of days before our recorded interview, I will send you a prep document via Google Docs. This will include the date and time of the interview, our meeting link, main talking points, my phone number in case you have technical difficulties, and anything else you need to know.
Need tech recommendations?
If we are conducting an online interview, you will need:
- A laptop or desktop computer
- A Logitech headset with built-in microphone. That way, you won't have to worry about troubleshooting echoes.
- Instructions for using the Zencastr podcasting website, which I will also email you.
During the interview
We will conduct a sound check before I start recording. I'll need you to talk for a bit while I complete any adjustments needed on my end. Even the best podcast guests get nervous, so this will help us work out any nerves either of us are feeling. If you have trouble with your sound for an online interview, I will work with you to figure it out.
I like to keep my podcast short for busy teacher entrepreneurs, so the recording should only last about 20 to 40 minutes. If it becomes apparent there is more that needs to be said, I may talk to you about recording a follow-up interview or writing a guest article.
We all make them, so no worries. You'll hear me mess up and say, “Um” way too often. When this happens, just pause for about five seconds, and start your sentence over again. No worries if you have to repeat this process a couple of times. My virtual assistant, Christina, is a whiz and cleaning all of this up!
After the interview
AFTER RECORDING: Please make sure you wait until after your audio uploads before you close your browser window.
Promote on social media!
I will let you know when your episode will air, so you can let your email list and social media people know to watch out for the episode in which you were the podcast guest. When our episode airs, I will promote it on my email lists, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and on podcast subscription apps. You are welcome and I encourage you to promote our episode on your website and through your own promotions. The more we promote, the more people we can serve with the message we're sharing.
I recommend you send your readers directly to our episode on the reThink Your Lifestyle Podcast page so they can listen and subscribe using their favorite service.
You can also include a link to our episode in your email and tell your friends and colleagues in person. If you're telling people about your interview, just direct them to reThinkYourLifestyle.com. During the first week or two after your interview airs, it will appear on the homepage. After that, they can click the podcast link at the top right of any page.
If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know!
Don't miss out on future episodes of my podcast!
Just enter your name and email address below to be added to my newsletter where I provide teacher entrepreneurs with the business advice and resources you need to succeed.